lundi, août 22, 2005

day 2

After many unexpected and unwished for obstacles, I can now connect to the world. I arrived somewhat well enough to Amsterdam, except for a nasty cold I got somewhere between the all-the-same streets of this beautifully disoriented city. I spent the first 2 days losing my way and I still can’t figure out how the hell do people find their ways in a city where you can’t see the sun. Disoriented is the perfect word to describe what I am at the moment.

However I have finally resolved the internet problem and have to buy a new phone because mine lost his last breath supposedly on the airplane. Anyway my number is 0031 6 38167358.

Still no sign of breathtaking fun, I have spent my two first days walking and searching for miscellaneous items amongst which I proudly announce was a wooden spoon, a huge cucumber, various cleaning products (all instructions in Dutch) and other utensils and products.

Not yet properly introduced to Amsterdam’s favorite plant (too sick to do so), however its stench is one of the streets’ most common habitant.

Great view from my room, which I have to say, is much bigger than expected. Not yet fully loaded however, but as I start getting around this city I should furnish and make it a home. I haven’t found out where to find the less common items that are usually vital in any habitat, like for example a pillow or a dish rack.

I haven’t yet met my bathroom partner. The building is not yet vibrant with life. The garbage workers in Amsterdam are on strike and garbage is everywhere in the city but people don’t seem to mind.

Haven’t quite decided whether to get a bike or not but I am increasingly getting convinced, my muscles however definitely are.